We may not understand why we've been dealt the cards we have, but I believe we can learn something from our experiences. To date, I haven't quite figured it out. It's an on-going process, and it may be years down the road before we can take something from all we've been through.
In the mean time, our infertility, ectopic pregnancy, triplets, and loss of our monochorionic-monoamniotic twins, provides us with experiences most, not even the doctors, will EVER come close to comprehending.
I wish there had been someone there for us as we navigated through. Someone who truly understood the pain, the heartache, the devastation. I recently came across a website which connects trained volunteers with people who are experiencing similar medical tragedies. Sidelines has been a blessing for many, and I'm happy to become a part of its mission.
Our experiences have helped me realized how lucky I am. Being a Canadian citizen has provided me with resources and services many others around the world are desperately lacking.
All of my infertility tests and treatments, minus the cost of the medication was covered by our health care system. Not only that, but being Canadian allows me access to the top-notch services; think of how many women are not so lucky! I live in a country who has given me access to trained doctors and medical staff, who saved my life and my tube during my ectopic pregnancy. Would this have been the case in rural Nicaragua, or similar regions?
And most recently, I was given the opportunity to have children. Early detection told me I was having triplets. Vigilant doctors gave me the devastating news of our twins. Skilled and compassionate hospital staff gave me and my singleton a chance at life. Had I been born somewhere else, I very likely would have lost my ALL my children and my own life. And all of this didn't cost us a dime (well, as long as you don't count the thank-you cards given to those professionals who helped me through).
For this, I am grateful. For this, I resolve to do what I can to help other women who aren't so lucky.
Cyballs and I have recently started providing recurring donations to Clinica Verde, a facility being built in Nicaragua to assist women with high-risk pregnancies.
I cannot fathom what women with high-risk complications, in less prosperous regions, must go through. I take comfort in knowing that my small contribution may help to save a life.
Tiramisu
1 day ago





No comments:
Post a Comment